September 2016 – Page 2 of 24 – My Blog

As soon as Google started rolling out Android 7.0 Nougat, Sony wasted no time in releasing the list of its smartphones that will be getting the firmware update. However, the company didn’t reveal the timeline for these updates at the time. The company has now reportedly revealed the timeline for the rollout at its Slovakia press conference.

The software update will be first making its way to company’s flagship smartphones Xperia XZ and Xperia X Performance around October and will then roll out to other smartphones, as per a report by Slovakian website MojAndroid.

Smartphones Xperia X and Xperia X Compact will be receiving the update around November while the Xperia Z5 series, Xperia Z3+, and Xperia Z4 Tablet will be getting the update around December, as per a company slide. The last batch of smartphones to receive the update will be Xperia XA and Xperia XA Ultra, which are slated to get Android 7.0 Nougat in early 2017.

The list of devices mentioned at the press conference includes all devices that were listed by the company earlier. It should be noted that only these devices from Sony will be getting the Android 7.0 Nougat update.

Interestingly, Sony Xperia E5, which was launched in May this year, will not be getting the update. Further, the Sony Xperia Z4 and Xperia Z4v, released in the second quarter of 2015, have been left out of Nougat treatment by the company as well.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

BlackBerry Ltd Chief Executive John Chen said on Monday he was two-thirds of the way toward achieving his goal of turning the Canadian technology company’s fortunes around.

“We have made investment over a billion-plus, all in software, all in security, and now we need to execute it,” Chen said at an event in Toronto two days before the company will report its second-quarter earnings.

Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry, a once-dominant smartphone maker, has shifted its focus to software that companies and governments use to manage their mobile devices.

Chen, who became CEO in 2013, had said he would decide by September on the fate of its unprofitable hardware unit. He did not provide an update when asked about the issue.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Intex has launched a new smartphone – the Cloud Q11 – priced at Rs. 4,699. The smartphone is now exclusively available to buy via Amazon India.

The dual-SIM Intex Cloud Q11 runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and features a 5.5-inch HD (720×1280 pixels) IPS display. The company touts that the screen to body ratio on the handset is almost 70 percent. The new Intex smartphone is powered by a 1.3GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6580 processor, coupled with 1GB of RAM. Sporting an 8-megapixel rear autofocus camera with dual-LED flash, the Intex Cloud Q11 also sports a 5-megapixel front-facing camera.

It bears 8GB of built-in storage that is expandable via microSD card (up to 32GB). Connectivity options include 3G (HSPA+), Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, Micro-USB 2.0, GPS/ A-GPS, and a 3.5mm audio jack.

Measuring 154×77.2×10.5mm, the Intex Cloud Q11 is backed by a 2800mAh battery that is rated to deliver up to 350 hours of standby time, and up to 8 hours of talk-time. It weighs 170 grams and bears an accelerometer, ambient light sensor, and proximity sensor. The official listing confirms that the Intex Cloud Q11 will be available in Blue and White colour variants.

The domestic handset maker had previously unveiled the Aqua HD 5.5 smartphone priced at Rs. 5,637. The dual-SIM Intex Aqua HD 5.5 runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow, and feature a 5.5-inch HD (720×1280 pixels) IPS display. Intex touted that the Aqua HD 5.5’s large display is ideal for gaming, movies, and online streaming.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

The Internet is an extremely powerful tool that can be used for spreading messages of kindness as well as hate. Also, it can sometimes make people do foolish things. In another instance where common sense seems to have failed miserably, a viral prank video on YouTube made certain people believe that 3.5mm audio jack can be drilled into an iPhone 7.

The viral video, posted by YouTube channel TechRax, shows US-based Ukrainian Taras Maksimuk drilling a headphone jack, which was famously removed from the latest iPhone models, into an iPhone 7’s speaker grille. In his description about the video, Maksimuk has written “This video is for those who don’t want to get $159 wireless AirPods or have to insert your headphones into an adapter every time you listen to music.”

The video has garnered more than 10 million views on YouTube since the time it was uploaded.

In the comment section of the video, several people have explained how they ended up destroying their smartphones after assuming that it was a genuine tutorial.

Even though Maksimuk has earlier uploaded videos in which he has destroyed iPhone models and in his channel description he says “Smashing technology since 2011,” several people absurdly decided to take the video on its face value.

Apple removed the 3.5mm headphone jack on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus and started shipping EarPods that can be plugged into Lightning port, which was earlier used for just charging. The company now also offers wireless headphones called AirPods.

The company’s decision to remove the headphone jack received mixed reaction overall from users, but invited some strong criticism even ahead of its actual announcement.

In the In the light of the entire episode, it is highly advisable to check the source for information before learning anything from Internet. If not, at least you will have a nice story to tell your grandchildren.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

At an event in Beijing event on Tuesday, Xiaomi launched the Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus smartphones. The Xiaomi Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus feature a metal unibody design, with the bigger Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus packing a dual rear camera setup, a strategy adopted by Apple with the latest iPhone models. The new Xiaomi smartphones are powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 821 SoC.

The Xiaomi Mi 5s 3GB RAM/ 64GB storage variant is priced at CNY 1,999 (roughly Rs. 20,000), while the 4GB RAM/ 128GB storage variant is priced CNY 2,299 (roughly Rs. 22,900). The Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus 4GB RAM/ 64GB storage variant on the other hand has been priced at CNY 2,299 (roughly Rs. 22,900), while the 6GB RAM/ 128GB storage variant has been priced at CNY 2,599 (roughly Rs. 26,000). Both smartphones will be available in four colour variants – Gold, Rose Gold, Silver, and White. Both the Mi 5s and Mi 5s Plus will go on sale from Thursday via flash sales on JD.com and Mi.com.

The Xiaomi Mi 5s features a 5.15-inch full-HD (1080×1920 pixels) display with NTSC 95 percent colour gamut and a brightness of 600 nits. The company claims the display bears 16 ultra-bright LED lights to help further boost brightness. The Mi 5s Plus on the other hand features a 5.7-inch display with the same resolution, but a brightness of 550 nits, and a NTSC 94 percent colour gamut.

The Mi 5s Plus (seen below) bears a dual rear camera setup, with two 13-megapixel sensors – one for colour, and the other for black and white. The Mi 5s on the other hand bears a single 12-megapixel rear camera, with Sony IMX 378 sensor and an f/2.0 aperture. Both smartphones support PDAF autofocus, and both bear a 4-megapixel front-facing camera with 2-micron pixels and an f/2.0 aperture. Other differences between the smartphones include the clock speed of the processor. While the Mi 5s bears a 2.15GHz Snapdragon 821 SoC, the Mi 5s Plus bears a 2.35GHz Snapdragon 821 SoC.

The Mi 5s bears an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor on its home button. Placed under glass, the sensor will not get damaged with use, however, Xiaomi claims it offers the same level of accuracy and speed as regular planar fingerprint sensors. The Mi 5s Plus on the other hand has a fingerprint sensor on the rear panel.

Connectivity options on board include 4G LTE connectivity with 3x carrier aggregation support, NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth v4.2, and GPS/ A-GPS. Sensors on board include an accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, barometer, and magnetometer.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Samsung, as expected, unveiled the new Galaxy On8 smartphone in India. Priced at Rs. 15,900, the new Samsung Galaxy On8 will be available in Gold, Black and White colours. It will go on sale via Flipkart from October 2 midnight as part of the online retailer’s Big Billion Days sale.

The biggest highlight of the new Galaxy On8 is its 5.5-inch full-HD Super Amoled display that was being teased ahead of its launch. The smartphone packs metal body and Samsung claims it features diamond cut metal frames. Much like recently unveiled Samsung mid-range smartphones, the Galaxy On8 will also come with features like UDS (Ultra Data Saving) mode and S bike mode as part of the company’s “Make for India” initiatives.

Running Android 6.0 Marshmallow, the Galaxy On8 is powered by an octa-core processor clocked at 1.6GHz coupled with 3GB of RAM. The handset packs 16GB inbuilt storage and comes with expandable storage up to 128GB via microSD card. The 4G-enabled Galaxy On8 smartphone sports a 13-megapixel rear autofocus camera with LED flash and f/1.9 aperture. There is a 5-megapixel front camera with LED flash on board as well. Backed by a 3300mAh battery, the smartphone supports dual Micro-SIMs. It measures 151.7x76x7.8mm and weighs 169 grams. Samsung says that the Galaxy On8 also supports VoLTE.

Commenting on the launch, Manu Sharma, Vice President, Mobile Business, Samsung India said, “The Galaxy On8 is the perfect smartphone for consumers seeking an optimal mix of style, portability and powerful performance. The device not only looks stylish but also packs a punch with a superior consumer experience with powerful processor and vivid display. We are extremely pleased to announce the new Galaxy On8 exclusively on Flipart’s Big Billion Day Sale.”

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Ahead of Google’s much-anticipated October 4 event where the company is expected to showcase new hardware products, we have been treated with an alleged press image of the Google Pixel smartphone.

Posted by Venture Beat, the Google Pixel – which is believed to be the smaller of the two new Pixel smartphones – is seen with its screen turned on. The home screen shows new home onscreen button alongside other interface tweaks. One of the starkest changes in the new UI seems to be the rounded app icons which give the handset a refreshing look. We also speculate that the new UI and rounded icons will be exclusive on Pixel products and may not be seen on other smartphones running Android 7.0 Nougat. To recall, the Google Pixel smartphones are expected to run Android 7.1 Nougat, which is said bring several new features.

Recent teardowns indicate the new icons may bring additional interface options similar to Apple’s 3D Touch, however, without the requirement of pressure sensitive displays.

All this differentiation may be part of the ‘opinionated’ changes that Google is bringing to its flagship smartphones. However, it may also arrive for other Android smartphones as part of the Pixel Launcher – thought to replace the Google Now Launcher. The new press render is also in-line with previously leaked Pixel smartphone image.

In another rumour, the new Pixel smartphone may come in “Very Silver and Quite Black” colour variants, according to Android Police’s David Ruddock.

Based on preliminary leaks, the Google Pixel smartphone, codenamed ‘Sailfish’, is said to feature a 5-inch full-HD display with 440ppi pixel density; a quad-core 64-bit quad-core processor; 4GB of RAM; 32GB storage; 12-megapixel rear camera; 8-megapixel front camera, and a 2770mAh battery. The handset is also expected to sport rear-mounted fingerprint scanner along with the USB Type-C port and bottom speaker. The handset is said to pack a headphone jack and come with Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity. The company is also expected to unveiled the Google Pixel XL smartphone, codenamed Marlin.

There is also other bunch of new details about the upcoming Pixel smartphones which are said to come with dust and water resistance rating of IP53 though will lack proper water-resistance. The Pixel smartphone are also expected to be hard to root.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Lenovo has confirmed the latest round of layoffs in the company, saying that it’s part of the “ongoing strategic integration between Lenovo and its Motorola” smartphone business. In a statement, Lenovo claimed that the new layoffs only impact 2 percent of the entire 55,000 employees globally. Unfortunately, the Chinese company hasn’t revealed many details about the layoffs.

Droid-Life in a report claims that the new layoffs mostly impacts Motorola. It adds that over 50 percent of Motorola’s existing employees based in the US have been asked to leave the company. It cites a 20-year veteran of Motorola who reportedly claimed that he was part of the layoffs. The report also says that over 700 employees out of the current 1,200 Moto employees have been laid off.

Notably, the new layoffs are reportedly not the first job cuts for Motorola employees, as Chicago Tribune previously claimed that the company saw layoffs in August as well as October last year.

Lenovo in a press statement also gave reasons for the new layoffs and said it is a part of “resource action impacting less than two percent of its approximately 55,000 employees globally.”

“The majority of the positions being eliminated are part of the ongoing strategic integration between Lenovo and its Motorola smartphone business as the company further aligns its organization and streamlines its product portfolio to best compete in the global smartphone market,” added Lenovo.

The Chinese company added that it’s also adjusting other areas of business as part of a “continued effort to manage costs, drive efficiency and support ongoing improvement in overall financial performance.”

Lenovo further said, “While these actions are never easy, they are a necessary part of our continued efforts to ensure long-term, profitable growth across all of our businesses.”

On the rumours about Lenovo shifting the Motorola headquarters away from Chicago, the company said, “Lenovo is absolutely committed to Chicago and we plan to maintain our Motorola Mobility headquarters there.”

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 3 has achieved yet another milestone as the company claims that the smartphone has become the bestselling online phone in India. According to a tweet by the company, 2.3 million units of the smartphone have been sold to date. To recall, the Redmi Note 3 was launched back in March in India.

The Chinese company claims that a unit of Redmi Note 3 is sold every 7 seconds in India and that one out of every nine smartphones shipped online is a Redmi Note 3.

In order to celebrate this feat by the smartphone, the company is organising a contest that allows users to win Redmi Note 3 or coupons by playing a game. In the game, the players are asked to type the sentence given by the company in less than seven seconds. Users will get three chances per day till Thursday.

If you fail to type in first three attempts, you can get more chances by sharing the company’s post on Facebook. Users are allowed to take advantage of this chance twice a day. Any user can have up to 9 chances a day.

Last month, the company announced that it had shipped 1.75 million units of the Redmi Note 3 in just five months of its launch. The company further pointed to an IDC report that said it had shipped 880,000 units of the smartphone in the online channel in Q2 2016.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 packs a 5.5-inch full-HD (1080×1920 pixels) display. The smartphone is powered by 1.4GHz hexa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 processor coupled with 2GB of RAM.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

Senior executives of Samsung today met officials of aviation regulator DGCA, two days after one of the company’s high-end smartphones caught fire inside an IndiGo aircraft.

During the meeting, which lasted for more than an hour, the watchdog sought technical details about Galaxy Note series amid concerns over batteries of some of the devices getting overheated and exploding, sources said.

On September 23, a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 caught fire inside an IndiGo aircraft coming from Singapore during landing at the Chennai airport.

Following the incident, which was the first of its kind involving a Samsung Galaxy Note on board an aircraft in India, DGCA had summoned the company’s officials for a meeting.

The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) will further examine the smartphone that caught fire, the sources said.

The incident happened within a fortnight of the regulator prohibiting the use of Galaxy Note 7 on board following a series of cases of the smartphone’s battery exploding in various countries.

This model is yet to be launched in the Indian market.

According to sources, Samsung executives told DGCA that Galaxy Note 7 manufactured till September 15 will not be sold in India in order to address battery issues.

About today’s meeting, DGCA spokesperson was not available for comment while Samsung did not offer any immediate comment.

Soon after the incident of Galaxy Note 2 catching fire was reported on September 23, Samsung had said it was looking into the matter and was in touch with relevant authorities to gather more information.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]