Receive Archives – My Blog


New Delhi: All toll plazas in national highways will receive payments through credit or debit cards and e-wallet henceforth besides accepting old currency notes of Rs 500 till December 15.

The Home Ministry has also asked the states to deploy adequate police so that no potential law and order problem arises across the toll plazas.

In a communication to chief secretaries of all states, the Home Ministry said to facilitate smooth passage of national highways users, several measures have been undertaken including fee collection through credit/debit cards through point of sale system installed by the banks.
Besides, the toll plazas will install fee paid instruments, e-wallet, electronic toll collection and accept old currency notes of Rs 500 till December 15 as a special case, Joint Secretary in the Home Ministry Dilip Kumar said in a communication.

The ministry said anticipating a scenario of likely shortage of currency notes which may result in longer than normal traffic at the toll plaza booths, state administrations are requested to deploy adequate police forces and duty magistrates for facilitating smooth passage of national highway users.

It asked the states to ensure the availability and deployment of adequate officers and police forces so that no potential law and order problem arises across the toll plazas.

Toll collection across all the national highways has resumed with effect from midnight of December 2.

[“source-ndtv”]

Xiaomi officials have confirmed that the Android Nougat update is coming for its smartphones. The Xiaomi Mi 4c, Xiaomi Mi 4S, and Xiaomi Mi Note will be among the first to receive the update followed by the Xiaomi Mi Note 2, Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus and Xiaomi Mi Max. The company confirmed the update through Weibo.

The company says the beta testing for the Nougat update is already underway. The MIUI operations manager who posted on Weibo did not mention any specific date from when the update will begin rolling out for the phones.

The Android based update will be called MIUI 9, a leaked image of which was spotted a while back. As of now, only the Xiaomi Mi 5 has received the Nougat update and now the rest of Xiaomi’s devices can expect the update soon enough.

Interestingly, Xiaomi’s official did not mention whether the Nougat update will be available for the Redmi series. Users of Xiaomi devices mentioned above can expect the Nougat update some time during Q1 of 2017.

[“source-ndtv”]

Mumbai: Banks have taken back Rs 12.44 lakh crore ($184.24 billion) of high-value currency that the government abruptly abolished last month, Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor R Gandhi said on Tuesday.

That represents about 80 percent of the Rs 15.44 lakh crore in 500- and 1,000-rupee notes that were circulating before Prime Minister Narendra Modi abolished them on Nov. 8, in a surprise move targeting counterfeiters and people holding undeclared wealth.

Analysts had estimated that only about 13 trillion of those abolished notes would be deposited at banks, because people with undeclared cash would be wary of attracting the scrutiny of tax authorities.

Indians have until Dec. 31 to turn in their old notes.

Economists said total deposits were likely to reach about Rs 13 lakh crore to Rs 13.5 lakh crore by the end of the year, in line with the estimates.

“The old notes of 500 and 1000 rupees which have been returned back to the Reserve Bank and the currency chest amounted to Rs 12.44 lakh crore as of Dec. 10, 2016,” Gandhi said in a short news briefing.

The RBI has printed some 1.7 billion new 500- and 2,000-rupee notes, which will replace the abolished notes, Gandhi said. That is a fraction of the 24 billion individual notes that were withdrawn.

PM Modi’s action has created a widespread cash shortage that has hit many aspects of the economy, from manufacturing to consumer demand.

But PM Modi says it was necessary to crack down on India’s shadow economy, although Indians have resorted to ingenious ways to try to deposit their undeclared assets, such as splitting up their money and paying others to temporarily park it in their bank accounts.

The government and the RBI have vowed strict action against those believed to be trying to deposit undeclared assets, including tougher scrutiny of all deposits of more than 250,000 rupees.

The RBI on Tuesday also asked banks to keep all CCTV footage from Nov. 8, in another bid to scrutinise depositors.

A source at the Central Bureau of Investigation told Reuters on Tuesday it had arrested an RBI officer in Bengaluru for “unauthorised changing” of Rs 600,000 in old 500- and 1,000-rupees notes.

RBI Deputy Governor S.S. Mundra, at the same news briefing, said a junior central bank official had been “suspended” because “he was recorded to be present in a bank branch where some suspected transaction was happening.”

“We have instituted investigation and due action would be taken once the details are ascertained,” Mundra said.

[“source-ndtv”]

Google on Monday released the Android 7.1.1 Nougat update for Nexus and Pixel devices, and the update has begun rolling out across the world. A Gadgets 360 staff member received the update on his Pixel XL smartphone, and learnt that the smartphone now supports 4G VoLTE, compatible with Reliance Jio in India.

To use 4G VoLTE, Google Pixel and Pixel XL users will need to enable Enhanced 4G LTE Mode in Settings > Mobile network settings. This will let you “use LTE services to improve voice and other communications (recommended)”. Once activated, users will see a HD symbol in their status bar, with the explanation “Device is HD capable”.

The Android 7.1.1 Nougat update for Google Pixel XL is 263.6MB in size, and also brings the December Android Security Patch. If you haven’t yet received the update, and can’t wait to try out the VoLTE feature, you can upgrade to the latest version via the OTA files on Google’s site.

The update for Pixel smartphones fixes critical bugs, and also improves the stability and performance of the devices. The Android 7.1.1 Nougat update also adds gender counterparts for emoji characters that previously only had male or female representation. Google has also added support for GIF images directly from keyboard on supported apps. Some of the apps that support GIF images include Google Allo, Google Messenger, and Hangouts.


Lenovo’s Phab 2 Pro smartphone may be one of the first smartphones to be Tango-ready right out-of-the-box. The company however has plans to roll out the Tango augmented reality functionality to the Moto Z (Review) as well.

At an event in Chicago, Aymar de Lencquesaing, Chairman and President – Motorola, and SVP, Lenovo Mobile Business, has confirmed that the Moto Z may soon receive Tango functionality. Lencquesaing added that the company will likely launch a Tango module to enable the Moto Z to have Tango functionality.

“The tablet folks did a phablet and worked with Google, the Tango team, to come out with a Tango phablet. Going forward, we’ll have to address as a group how do we reconcile the products that are at the fringe? We’re likely to have a Tango module to basically enable the Z to have Tango functionality,” Lencquesaing was quoted saying at the event.

Unfortunately, Lencquesaing didn’t announce a timeline for the availability of the Tango module for the Moto Z.

To recall, Google’s Project Tango focuses around machine vision which means that a camera and sensor setup provides motion tracking, depth perception, and area learning. The features allow enabling augmented reality (AR) on a device that can make applications like indoor navigation, search, and gaming work. The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro sports a total of four cameras – an 8-megapixel front camera, a 16-megapixel rear RGB camera, a depth-sensing infrared camera with an imager and an emitter, as well as a motion tracking camera.
The Moto Z smartphone launched in India back in October and was priced at Rs. 39,999. The highlight of the smartphone is it supports Moto Mods, which connect to the rear of the smartphones via the 16-dot connector interface.

 
[“source-ndtv”]

After being unsuccessful in finding out the root cause of the Galaxy Note 7 explosions, Samsung killed off the flagship and asked all customers to switch off their phones and return it. The company notes that almost 85 percent of US users have returned the phone back to them; however the company looks to retrieve all of the units off the market. To further that effort, the company will soon issue a software update that aims to force the users to bring their Samsung Galaxy Note 7 units in.

The upcoming update reduces the ability of the Galaxy Note 7 to fully charge up. It restricts the unit to only charge till 60 percent, and not more. Furthermore, a pop-up notification shows up every time you wake, reboot, or charge the phone. The notification reminds you of the recall, and request users to return the unit back to the manufacturer.
Making the announcement in a blog post on Friday, Samsung’s US arm also announced that most of the customers have switched their Galaxy Note 7 units with another Samsung phone. Users are also given the option to opt for cash, or choose to be a part of the Galaxy S8 or Note 8 programme.

We recommend all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 users to return their units immediately for not only their own, but the safety of others as well. Samsung’s engineers are unable to find the actual reason behind these explosions, making the recall even more urgent.

Samsung tried to fend off Apple competition by unveiling the Galaxy Note 7 earlier than usual, and even skipped a numeral to bring uniformity across its series. However, the company’s big bet backfired badly, costing it billions.

 
[“source-ndtv”]

Google has announced the Android 7.1 Nougat developer preview will be released for select compatible devices by the end of this month. After unveiling the new Android version for its Pixel smartphones at the Made by Google Event, the tech giant has now confirmed the preview will arrive for select Nexus devices before the end of October.

The Android 7.1 Nougat Developer Preview is initially coming only for Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and Pixel C devices. Google does confirm that other devices will get to use the preview by the end of developer preview cycle, but did not provide any release timeline for them. Furthermore, it even confirmed that the Android 7.1 Nougat final build will hit all Google-supported Android 7.0 devices in early December. This means Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus 9 LTE, Nexus Player, Pixel C, and supported Android One devices will get the final Android 7.1 Nougat update.

Google did promise an Android 7.1 Nougat developer preview for compatible devices before the end of 2016, and this announcement falls in line with that assurance. The Android 7.1 Nougat developer preview should bring some significant improvements, the most notable ones being introduction of support for Daydream View VR headset and image keyboard. The latter means that Android users will now be able to freely send gifs through the keyboard, rather than copy pasting links or other roundabout methods.

This first maintenance update comes just two months after the first Android 7.0 Nougat commercial release. Other changes it brings include A/B system updates, night-light, circular app icons, a manual storage manager, and app shortcuts, apart from exclusive features for Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones.

Google is expected to release such maintenance updates quarterly moving forward. Google even confirmed the death of Nexus series recently, and is no longer going to produce any Nexus devices in the future. But it did assure continued software support to existing devices. The Android 7.0 Nougat update was also released to all Nexus devices except Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 LTE users, who received the update weeks later.

It’s worth noting that only the developer preview is expected to release this month, and only devices registered on the Android Beta Program will get the update. If you wish to receive beta updates from the Android team, register your supported device here.

[“source-ndtv”]

Lenovo in September announced that its Moto Z lineup and the Moto G4 would receive the latest Android 7.0 Nougat update beginning Q4. The company has now put up a full list of its smartphones that will soon receive the Android 7.0 Nougat update.

The list now includes Moto G4 Plus and Moto G4 Play along with Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen), Moto X Style, Moto X Play, Moto X Force, Droid Turbo 2, Droid Maxx 2, Moto Z, Moto Z Droid, Moto Z Force Droid, Moto Z Play, Moto Z Play Droid, and the Nexus 6.

To recap, Android 7.0 Nougat brings tons of new features such as multi-window support which will allow you to run two apps side by side, direct reply to notifications, updated Doze for better battery life, virtual reality support and improved system performance.

Lenovo India on Tuesday launched the Moto Z and Moto Z Play modular smartphones in India, along with the Moto Mods. The Moto Z has been priced at Rs. 39,999, while the Moto Z Play has been priced at Rs. 24,999. Both the smartphones go on sale staring 11:59pm on October 17 via Amazon and Flipkart.

[“source-ndtv”]

Almost all of the Nexus devices have already received the newly launched Android 7.0 Nougat by now. While the non-Nexus devices are still waiting for the Android 7.0 Nougat rollout, Lenovo has plans to release the update to its Moto devices as early as the Q4. Lenovo has confirmed that customers can “expect to see Android N on the Moto Z family and Moto G4 beginning in Q4.”

DroidLife cites a Motorola spokesperson for the rollout timeline. Thus, users of the Moto Z, Moto Z Force, and the recently launched Moto Z Play can expect to receive the Android 7.0 Nougat update sometime in the next quarter. While the spokesperson only mentioned the Moto G4, we can expect the Moto G4 Play and the Moto G4 Plus to receive the update in roughly the same timeline as yet.

You should keep checking your Moto phone’s notifications to see if there is an OTA update. Meanwhile, you can also head to the Motorola’s software update page to know about the upgrade for your phone.

To note, the Moto Z family has yet not hit Indian shelves, and Lenovo has announced to launch it on October 4 in India. There is no clarity yet which Moto Z smartphone company is planning to launch – the Moto Z, Moto Z Force, or the Moto Z Play – or possibly all of the them.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]