Recalled Archives – My Blog

Samsung has halted the production and global sales of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and asked users to stop using it after reports came in of replacement units catching fire. Samsung may have been clear with its communications to consumers but the South Korean company isn’t taking any chances of misinformation being spread. According to a media report, Samsung has been pushing a pop-up message to select Galaxy S7 units in an attempt to reassure users that their phones aren’t affected and aren’t being recalled.

TechnoBuffalo’s Todd Haselton reports that some Samsung Galaxy S7 users are receiving a push message from the company that reads, “Your Galaxy S7 is not an affected device.” It also says, “The Galaxy S7 is not subject to recall. You can continue to use your device normally.” At the moment it isn’t clear whether Samsung is sending push messages to just Galaxy S7 users in the US only or outside the country as well.

One of the possible reasons for Samsung to send push messages is the Galaxy Note 7 recall and the company clearly wants to differentiate the two premium units. Another reason may be the use of number “seven” on both the Galaxy Note 7 and Galaxy S7 which may confuse some consumers. Unfortunately, there is no word whether Samsung is pushing such messages to Galaxy S7 Edge users as well which was unveiled alongside Galaxy S7 earlier this year.

A recent report claims that Samsung after discontinuing Galaxy Note 7 smartphones may kill its Note branding entirely. The Galaxy Note 7 fiasco has caused major brand image damage to the company’s Note lineup, and it is quite plausible Samsung will kill the entire Note phablet range after all.

Amidst the exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7 controversy, a report last month alleged that a Galaxy S7 Edge exploded inside the pocket of an Ohio resident.

[“source-ndtv”]

Samsung Electronics Co said on Tuesday it has got back around 60 percent of recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones sold in South Korea, the United States and Europe, suggesting it is making progress in its attempts to recover from the crisis.

In a statement, Samsung said it was focused on replacing all affected devices “as quickly and efficiently” as possible and reiterated its request that customers affected by the current recall should power off their device and turn them in.

The world’s top smartphone maker announced on September 2 a global recall of at least 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 smartphones in 10 markets due to faulty batteries causing some phones to catch fire. The company says replacement devices it began issuing in mid-September use safe batteries.

Samsung hopes to take the faulty products off the market as soon as possible in order to limit further damage to its reputation and resume sales of the flagship device ahead of the key holiday shopping season in major markets such as the United States.

But the nearly month-long recall process has provided additional stumbles and embarrassment for the firm. Reports of Galaxy Note 7 fires and damages have continued after the recall announcement, while aviation authorities around the world issued warnings or outright bans on the use or charging of the Note 7 on aircraft.

Samsung was also forced to push back the start of Galaxy Note 7 sales in South Korea by three days to October 1 due to relatively slow progress in the recall in its home market.

Samsung Europe said the rapid response to the company’s exchange offer, which only started early last week in the region, gave the company confidence it can move to re-start sales of new models in key European markets by October 28.

As of Monday, 57 percent of Galaxy Note 7 owners had swapped for new devices, Samsung Europe said. Galaxy Note 7s were available for pre-order only days before the recall, limiting the number sold in the region, it said. Most of the devices to be recalled in the region were in Britain, France and Germany.

Some analysts say the cost of the recall and lost sales could wipe off nearly $5 billion in revenues for Samsung this year. Samsung said around 90 percent of customers who turned in their devices through the exchange programme have opted for a replacement Galaxy Note 7, but it remains unclear how strong demand from new customers would be when sales resume.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission on Thursday announced a recall of around one million Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones plagued by incidents of batteries bursting into flames.

The move by the US safety agency formalizes the recall underway in 10 countries after reports of faulty batteries that caused some handsets to explode during charging.

Samsung meanwhile announced replacements for the faulty phones would be available to US customers next week.

In the United States, there have been 92 reports of batteries overheating, including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage, the commission said in a notice.

The US notice affects around one million of the global total of 2.5 million handsets being recalled, which has cast a cloud over the South Korean electronics giant and world’s largest smartphone vendor.

Samsung has advised consumers in 10 countries to trade their handsets for temporary replacement phones until it releases an updated flagship device.

But many users have snubbed the offer, choosing to wait until the new phones were available, citing the inconvenience of switching devices for an interim period.

And different regulatory practices in different countries – as well as varying reactions from carriers – have caused a degree of customer uncertainty and confusion that is hampering Samsung’s efforts to get the recall behind it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

In a half-page ad carried by major South Korean newspapers on Wednesday, Samsung announced a Note 7 software update that will limit battery recharges to 60 percent of capacity. It would prevent the phones from overheating, and thus exploding, but would effectively mean a downgrade of the high-end device.

Replacements coming
Samsung Electronics America announced that replacements for Galaxy Note 7 smartphones will be available at retail locations in the US by September 21.

“Our collaboration with the CPSC to fast-track a voluntary recall in the US addresses safety concerns by ensuring we reach Note 7 owners quickly to exchange their devices,” Samsung America president Tim Baxter said.

“We are asking owners to act now by powering down their Galaxy Note 7 devices and receive a replacement devices or a refund through our exchange program.”

In an effort to steal a march on Apple, the Galaxy Note 7 was given an early launch in the key US market, making that a priority for the recall effort.

US and Japanese aviation authorities have urged passengers not to turn on or charge the large-screen phones on aircraft, while the US Federal Aviation Administration has told passengers not to stow the device in checked baggage.

Samsung’s recall trouble comes as rival Apple seeks to regain momentum with the Friday release of new-generation iPhone 7 models.

The newest versions of the California-based technology giant’s lifestyle-changing iPhone aim to win over users with sophisticated camera technology, water resistance, more power and other improvements.

[“source-gadgets.ndtv”]