In January this year, LG acknowledged the bootlooping issue on its LG G4 smartphone and the company said that it will repair the affected devices. At the time, the company said there was a hardware fault with the devices that caused the issue. Now, the issue has come back to haunt the company as some reports claimed that the issue has presented itself on LG V20 smartphone as well. Interestingly, the company has reportedly come up with a different explanation this time around.
An LG official said that the bootlooping issue presented itself on LG V20 smartphone due to the fact that users are not using genuine USB Type-C cables with the phone, as per a report by news publication iT Chosen.
Recently, an article along with a video that showed LG V20 in an infinite loop was reportedly posted on internet community Kangang. The video showed the smartphone repeatedly restarting but not going beyond LG’s logo.
However, a Reddit user who goes by the username Nathan K and is familiar with USB Type-C peripherals doesn’t seem to agree with company’s claim, as pointed out by GSM Arena. Nathan K said that a third-party USB Type-C cable is highly unlikely to cause the bootlooping issue “unless exceptional situations arose.”
As there haven’t been many cases reported about the issue, we will have to wait and see if the company makes another acknowledgement of the issue or issues a warning against use of fake USB Type-C cables, if their use is indeed the reason for the issue.
Users made the most of the big discounts during the Black Friday sale last week – which extended over the weekend till Cyber Monday. Deep discounts on tech products saw users lapping up smartphones and tablets in huge numbers, and the newly released iPhone 7 and Google Pixel saw an increase in sale numbers – or specifically, new device activations. However, an analytics firm found out that the Google Pixel was a clear winner when it came to activations over the weekend, while the iPhone 7 lagged behind.
During the big weekend, Localytics data shows that Google Pixel phones outnumbered the latest Apple offering. The data revealed that Google Pixel activations went up to 112 percent compared to the average from the previous four weekends, while the iPhone 7 saw just 13 percent rise in activations over the weekend. Interestingly, the Samsung Galaxy S7 performed impressively as well, with a 36 percent jump in new activations compared to the normal rate. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPad mini 2 activations increased by 24 percent and 19 percent respectively.
localytics main localytics
The analytics firm also compared the data with last year’s iPhone models. During last year’s Black Friday weekend, the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus managed to rake in a jump in new device activations of 36 percent and 29 percent respectively. The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, on the other hand, managed to rake in only 13 percent and 1 percent increase this year over the discounted weekend.
Even though these numbers are significant for Google, they do not necessarily tell the full story. For instance, these percentages are just a rise in activations compared to the averages of previous weekends, so it in no way indicates that Google has sold more units than Apple. It merely indicates that the particular weekend was good for Google, and wasn’t so great for Apple. The weekend could’ve accelerated its sales figures, but this data in no way means that it has beat Apple in overall sales.
Chinese handset maker Huawei has claimed that it has sold over 9 million Huawei P9 units globally since the smartphone’s launch in April. The company made the announcement at an event on Thursday.
Notably, the company back in September had claimed that it sold 6 million P9 smartphones, which means the company has sold an additional 3 million units within two months.
One of the biggest highlights of the Huawei P9 smartphone is its dual rear camera setup that was ‘co-engineered with Leica’. The smartphones sport two 12-megapixel rear camera with with f/2.2 apertures – one camera captures colour images, while the other captures monochrome images. It also sports an 8-megapixel front-facing camera.
To recall, the Huawei P9 had been unveiled alongside the Huawei P9 Plus back in April. The Chinese company in August launched the P9 flagship smartphone in India at Rs. 39,999.
The Android 6.0 Marshmallow-based Huawei P9 features the company’s EMUI 4.1 skin on top, and sports a 5.2-inch full-HD (1080×1920 pixels) IPS LCD display. It is powered by a Hi-Silicon Kirin 955 octa-core processor (2.5GHz quad-coreCortex-A72 + 1.8GHz quad-core Cortex-A53 cores) that’s coupled with 3GB of RAM. It bears 32GB of inbuilt storage, which is expandable via microSD card (up to 128GB). Huawei has also unveiled a 4GB of RAM/ 64GB of inbuilt storage variant which is not available in India. Connectivity options on board the Huawei P9 include 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth v4.1, Infrared, and USB Type-C. The smartphone features a 3000mAh battery and comes in Ceramic White, Prestige Gold, and Titanium Grey colours.
Profit estimates are often crucial indicators for any industry as they reveal the direction where the companies are heading. If the latest estimates by analyst Tim Long from BMO Capital Markets, about smartphone industry are anything to go by, Apple seems to be the only shining spot in an otherwise ailing industry.
As per the estimates by Long, reported by Investors, Apple accounted for 103.6 percent of the total smartphone industry’s profit in Q3, compared with 90 percent of the total share a year ago. If you are wondering how the figure is above the 100 percent mark, this is because majority of other smartphone manufacturer’s registered a loss while Apple registered a large profit. As a result, the Cupertino-based company ended up making more profit than entire industry’s net profit. Apple also offers fewer devices, and no actual budget segment, helping skew the graph further.
At second place, and very far behind, falls Samsung with 0.9 percent of the profit share, as per the estimates. The South Korean company’s profit from smartphone business was notably hit by the controversies surrounding its, now discontinued, smartphone Galaxy Note 7. The smartphone had to be recalled two times and as a result, the company is estimated to be facing a total loss to the tune of $5.3 billion (roughly Rs. 35,433 crores).
Samsung’s loss seems to have been Apple’s gain as the demand for company’s new smartphones iPhone 7 and 7 Plus got further boost after the announcement of Galaxy Note 7’s discontinuation. As per a recent survey, about half of Galaxy Note 7 users shifted to iPhone after the recall.
Other companies like LG and HTC have continued to lose money in their respective smartphone business and added to the woes of the industry. If the estimates are correct, this will be the first time when Apple has registered a profit share of over 100 percent.
In terms of overall smartphone sales, Samsung still leads the pack with 21.7 percent of the total smartphone sales in Q3, while Apple’s share stands at 13.2 percent, as per BMO. Huawei comes in at third position in smartphone sales with market share of 9.7 percent.
Apple’s iPhone sales have been on a decline this year, and that trend is likely to continue next year as well. If KGI Securities’ analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is to be believed, then Apple’s sales in the first and second quarter of 2017 will continue to decline, falling short of how it performed in the same quarters in 2016. Kuo blamed the second quarter decline on Apple’s decision to not refresh the iPhone SE next year.
Apple’s iPhone marks its tenth anniversary next year, and the Cupertino is keeping things minimal but significant rather than going all out. The iPhone 8 is expected to pack major upgrades; however, Kuo claims that the company will give the next version of iPhone SE a complete miss.
“Shipment volume in 2Q16 came in higher than expected thanks to upbeat demand for the iPhone SE. However, in order to keep gross margin at a high level and to avoid cannibalisation of high-end models, we do not expect Apple to launch an upgraded iPhone SE in 2Q17. Without contribution from a new model, we forecast total iPhone shipment volume will reach 35-40mn units and fall YoY in 2Q17, lower than the 40.4mn units in 2Q16,” 9to5Mac quotes Kuo as stating in his note to investors.
The analyst also notes that this decision is mostly influenced through Apple’s effort to keep the gross margin high and minimise cannibalisation of high-end flagships like the iPhone 7. While Kuo seems certain that there will be no iPhone SE refresh next year, he did not provide any clarity on when (and whether) Apple plans to update. The iPhone SE was launched in March this year, and helped Apple garner a lot of sales this year. It remains unsure what update cycle will Apple adopt for the iPhone SE range.
In any case, Kuo is not that positive on iPhone 7 sales in 2017 first quarter, claiming that the shipment volume in that time frame will be 40-50 million units, much lower than 51.2 million units that were shipped in first quarter of 2016. Most of this sales decline is attributed to the lack of demand of the 4.7-inch iPhone 7.
However, Kuo comes bearing some good news as well, and claims that even though the first two quarters next year are said to see a decline in sales, Apple will more than make up for it after the launch of its iPhone 8 smartphone. The smartphone, based on preliminary rumours, is expected to sport an OLED display panel, come in three variants instead of two, sport an optic fingerprint recognition technology, and have an all-glass casing.
When it comes to security, most experts and tech geeks bet their money on iOS over Android. However, Adrian Ludwig, Director, Android Security at Google, stresses that Android is at par with iOS and the iPhone, and even thinks that it will become better than its rival in the future.
At the O’Reilly Security conference in Manhattan, Ludwig spoke to Vice’s Motherbard about how Android’s open source nature will put it in a much better place, in the long run. Even now, he doesn’t think that the iPhone is any better than Android. “For almost all threat models, they are nearly identical in terms of their platform-level capabilities,” Ludwig said.
Ludwig asserted that the Google Pixel phones are at par with iPhones when it comes to security. The platform as a whole would improve and even beat iOS in the future, he added, pointing to the open nature of the ecosystem. “”In the long term, the open ecosystem of Android is going to put it in a much better place,” he said.
Speaking at the conference, Ludwig also stated that even though Android-based threats are reported regularly, an actual real-world exploit is seldom ever recorded.
As an example, he took the infamous Stagefright bug that plagued mindsets last year, and said, “At this point we still don’t have any confirmed instances of exploitation in the wild.” During his speech, Ludwig pressed mostly on how secure Android is, and even said that it is practically impossible for anyone to target a large number of people at the same time.
Furthermore, he spoke about an Android security product called Safety Net, which scans 400 million devices per day and checks 6 billion apps per day for potential malware threats. Ludwig claims that these checks, combined with Android’s built-in exploit mitigation, ensure that very small number of Android devices actually contain malware – less than 1 percent.
While most of his speech was focused on defending Android’s security protocol, he also touched upon how OEMs and carrier networks have to move faster in providing updates and security patches to their customers, “We got quite a bit of work left to do to get to a point where that actually happens on a regular basis across the whole the ecosystem.”
The October festive sales in the country have proven to be phenomenally successful for Xiaomi. The company’s Indian arm has reported that it has sold more than 500,000 smartphones in less than three days between October 1 and 3, which it claims is an industry first and milestone for the Chinese smartphone maker. The company sold Xiaomi and Redmi devices during the festive season sales on Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, and Tata Cliq. While it also sold products on Mi.com, the company does not appear to be counting sales from its own platform.
The Redmi 3S (along with Redmi 3S Prime) was the top-selling product on Flipkart during its Big Billion Days Sale while Redmi Note 3 was the best-selling smartphone of Amazon’s Great Indian Festival sale. Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 3 (Gold), Redmi Note 3 (Grey), Mi Band 2, and 10000mAh Mi Power Bank were placed among the top six best-selling electronics on Amazon.
Manu Jain, India Head, Xiaomi said, “We are extremely proud to be sharing this milestone with our fans, partners and employees. More than six months of rigorous planning and hard work has helped us set a new benchmark in the industry. Last year we sold more than half a million phones in 30 days during the month of October, and this year we were able to achieve a similar number within three days. Based on what we know, no other brand has ever achieved this in India.”
“We are extremely thankful to all our Mi Fans for their amazing support, and will continue to work hard to constantly outdo ourselves as we have done on many occasions this year. One thing I would like to share with our Mi Fans is that this is just the beginning of a beautiful Mi India journey and there will be many more reasons to celebrate,” he added.
Over 800,000 smartphones were sold in one day during Flipkart’s Big Billion Days Sale which started on October 2 and Xiaomi was the top smartphone brand, contributing significantly to the number.
Meanwhile, Amazon’s Great Indian Shopping Festival began on October 1 which saw deals on the Redmi Note 3, Mi Max, 10000mAh Mi Power Bank, 20000mAh Mi Power Bank, and Mi Band 2.
Xiaomi has seen an incredible growth rate in India ever since the company entered the market in 2014. The company has managed to tap into the huge budget-to-mid-range smartphone market with the likes of the Redmi 3S and Redmi Note 3, which has proved fruitful for the company.
Xiaomi in September also achieved a milestone with the Redmi Note 3 as it became the bestselling online phone in India with 2.3 million units having been sold to date.
As per IDC, Xiaomi is now the third largest smartphone brand across top 30 cities in India.
A Florida Guy who claims Apple made a killing together with his iPhone Idea is suing the generation large searching for billions of bucks.
A lawsuit filed in a federal court in Florida this week by Thomas Ross argued that Apple “hijacked and exploited” a layout he came up with in 1992 for an “digital studying tool.”
He is demanding damages of no much less than $eleven billion (roughly Rs. seventy four,177 crores) and another $10 billion (roughly Rs. sixty seven,435 crores) in restitution, as well as as a minimum 1.five percent of Apple’s worldwide gross sales going forward “as an affordable royalty,” according to the complaint.
Ross, who’s representing himself in the healthy, outlined his imaginative and prescient in several diagrams. He used the drawings in a patent software that the united states Patent and Trade Office declared deserted in 1995 for failure to pay required prices.
Final 12 months Ross copyrighted his idea drawings, and his lawsuit contends that Apple merchandise and packaging violate that copyright and his intellectual property.
In courtroom paperwork, Ross accused Apple of adopting a subculture of “dumpster diving” as opposed to developing its personal ideas and argued that the invention pictured in his abandoned patent software changed into “sucked into” the company’s product line in a move he equated with identification theft.
Apple launched the iPod MP3 player in 2001, and the primary iPhone become introduced six years later.
Ross stated inside the filing that Apple did not follow a cease-and-desist order he sent the employer.
Apple did now not respond to an AFP request for remark, but the California corporation became quoted in media reviews as pronouncing that the in shape is with out merit.
Paytm, one of India’s largest electronic payment platforms, has seen over five-fold rise in active users in one year, a senior company official said on Thursday.
Ant Financial Services Group, an Alibaba Group affiliate, took 25 percent stake in One97, owner ofPaytm, as part of a strategic agreement in 2015.
Peng Yijie, director of international business at Ant Financial, the financial arm of Internet commerce giant Alibaba, said that Paytm reached 122 million active users by the end of March.
“About 5.6 times the figure in the beginning of 2015,” Peng said.
Paytm was launched in 2010, and offers mobile recharging, bill payments, and e-commerce shopping.
Bolstered by the success, Ant Financial said it is discussing working with online service companies in several countries.
“We are seeking to cooperate with several companies in Southeast Asia, Japan, the Republic of Korea and Europe,” said Peng.
China has over 400 million mobile payment users and more people increasingly rely on convenient payment services such as Alibaba’s Alipay.
“We have built strong technological capabilities by supporting mass online shopping holidays such as Singles’ Day on November 11 every year,” state-run Xinhua quoted Peng as saying.
Ant Financial became an investor in Paytm. It invested more in September last year, without disclosing its worth or the size of the stake.